History of the Municipality

Located on the Western bank of the river Mahananda, the city, came up around mid 18th century during the British rule. English Bazar is situated in between the ancient historical cities of Gour and Pandua.. It was once known as Engelzavad established by the British rulers. The city developed as the trading centre for silk and cotton fabric which the east India Company was dominating. Although part of a very old settled region, Malda came into being as a separately constituted district within provincial Bengal in 1813, through an act of incorporation that amalgamated two of the southern thanas of erstwhile Dinajpur district, with three drawn from western Rajshahi district and four from eastern Purnea district. This act of reconstitution has since had a profound effect on the cultural landscapes of the district, giving these a richness that
draws its strands from the mosaic of ethnoreligious and linguistic traditions that have thus been incorporated into the cultural traditions of Malda. Although the new district took its name from the mediaeval settlement at Maldah which, as its name would suggest, had been an important river trading port, subsequent urban growth in this region has principally taken place around the subsequent British commercial settlement of Ingrej Bazar (also Ingrezabad or Englishbazar) which was founded during the late-18th century on the char lands between the Ganga and Mahananda rivers. This new town has since metamorphosed into the city identified more commonly as Malda today, while the older settlement on the Mahananda north bank is now known as Old Malda. The composite township of Malda or Englishbazar, presently the headquarters of Malda district stands a few kilometers northwest of the ancient city of Gaur.